Saturday, August 1, 2009

Tree of Life

Therese recently finished her Tree of Life quilt. This one has been a quilt she has been longing to do for quite some time. Designed by Ricky Tims, the kit is made up of hand-dyed fabrics that Ricky's team creates in their hometown of LaVeta, Colorado (Home of The Quilt Show...which he hosts with Alex Anderson). The quilt is phenomenal because it combines Ricky's techniques from Convergence Quilts combined with raw-edge applique. This was an incredibly inspiring project for her to work on and especially inviting with Ricky's hand-dyed fabrics. Therese is now going to have her grandparents sign her quilt as part of her family tree, Tree of Life.
It was so much fun to see these quilts again that we made sure we put several options for a class on Convergence Quilting for the Fall run of classes.

I celebrated what one might deem as a "big birthday" this last week. Jackie Onassis, Stevie Wonder, Rita Scott, Olivia Maharry and I all share the same birthday. While a lot of people enjoy taking shots at us old people about our age, I have never found it amusing. Don't get me wrong, I am not vain about my age. I have always thought it rather pointless....it isn't a choice after all! I do enjoy being older for a lot of reasons. I would never want to be 20 again. It was a fun age to be, but the wisdom and knowledge I have now are so much better than I thought I had then. I also love being more comfortable in my own skin. I look around my sewing room and am less annoyed with tidiness than celebrating the freedom I enjoy in creating. I have always loved being with little kids. They so get the world and how to think about it. But, I enjoy them more now as I am aging because I am past fretting about my own kids being a reflection of my parenting (another benefit of aging...my kids aren't aren't truly a reflection of us if we raised them to think for themselves).

So, after ten years of saying "I'm almost 50" (Yes, I have been saying that for ten years. Then people would go "whoa, you DON'T look 50"....even though I might have been only 41.) So now my friend Kay Shindelar is telling me that she says "I am in my fifties." I like that!

In closing, my sage advice for the day is this....eat dessert first...you might not be hungry enough to have it at the end of the meal. And, dream big and live abundantly.

All the Best to You, JILL

No comments: