Wednesday, February 13, 2008

When Are You Moving?

We are getting ready to move to our new store. My brain is totally consumed by the details and scratchings of figuring out how to navigate the huge task of moving everything from as small as a needle to the massive check-out counter that serves us and our customers with the grace of a fine furnishing of a well-crafted piano and heft of a small tank! Through each day, I endure the ever-ending query, "when are you moving?" I smile and try to make light of the massive shifts of decision making that are swirling around in my mind and then toss out something like, "Oh, I am not sure" as if I wasn't sure if I was going to have hamburgers or chili for supper.

I wander around the store trying to remember which pieces will fit in which place and how to safely store it for transport. Through the processing, I look at the store more from the vision of my customers than the practicality of moving. I gaze through the thread and tell Diane to order more because I truly want everyone to have a chance to stock up on threads because thread is a like a paintbox of fun. Do you remember when you were a kid and you got the box of watercolor paints and you just couldn't wait to add water and let the colors slide over the paper?! I loved experimenting with how much blue I could put into the red to make it various shades of fuschia and then to really mix it up with a drop of purple to make a sunset. Thread is a lot like this and I want to share the paintbox with all of my customers. How disappointed I am for each of them who wander over and look for the ecru for the practical task of piecing!!

I know I didn't get to play near enough as a kid. Regardless of that whining on my part, I am reminded by one of Vicky Tracy's favorite quotes, "it is never too late to have a happy childhood." On that note, since I didn't get near enough time to play today... I think I will go to my sandbox of fabrics and dig through my books and my patterns and my fabrics and see if I can match them up or audition them (aka: play with my toys).

All the Best to You,
jill

No comments: